Everyone is talking about social media or using social media to talk!
Facebook, twitter, skype, blogging - all of these web 2.0 tools are hot topics of discussion. Get your language students talking about it and integrate social media into your language lesson plan! Not only will your clients practice the art of small talk, they may even learn something new about social media!
Ideas for engaging discussion could include the following:
- definition of social media -ask your student to explain it in their own words
- ask about the types of social media that they use on a personal level, company level
- ask about how their company uses social media
- discuss the advantages/disadvantages of social media
- discuss social media stories such as twitter in the news ( CNN /Oprah /Kutcher)
- discuss social media as an opportunity to earn money!Click Here!
- explore some social media sites (twitter/skype/facebook) together and language used regarding the different activities.
- open a social media account with your client to familiarize them with the current lingo
- discuss how new words enter English language with the new technology. Example: Google is now a verb! Google it or google me for more information about my background.
Common Craft produces short explanatory videos that are focused on making complex ideas easy to understand. Here is a video that talks about social media in general.
The video below explains Twitter.
Here is a free social media worksheet. I personally hate downloading something without seeing if it is really useful to me. So in order to make it as pleasant for you as possible, I have embedded into my site. After reviewing the document, if you like it, feel free to download it here. Download your coachENG file